Whether you choose to study at Masters or PhD level, you'll find that Computer Sciences at Hull combines research expertise and cutting-edge facilities to deliver a unique experience in your postgraduate journey. The qualification you earn will allow you to face the challenges that lie ahead in the rapidly-developing world of computer science and to obtain a head start in your career. The research we do in Computer Science - from AI and informatics to gamification, computational science, robotics and visualization - builds on a long history of successful research and innovation.
In the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), the UK's assessment of research quality, we were ranked joint fifth in the country for the international, real-world impact of our research. Studying with us for a postgraduate research degree means you get to benefit from this expertise to solve a world-leading research problem of your own. Along the way, you will also acquire a wealth of other vital skills and enjoy being part of our active and friendly postgraduate student community.
Our academic experts welcome applications for postgraduate research across a broad range of topics.
- Decision support and data mining (in telehealth)
- Applied distributed information systems (privacy and security)
- Big data
- Agent-based modelling
- Data structures and analytics
- Domain-specific languages
- Crowd-sourced data
- High performance computing
- Using game technologies to improve motivation and engagement
- Technology enhanced learning
- Intelligent and personalised systems
- Data mining (including educational data mining)
- Human-computer interface aspects
- Mobile and web-based applications
- Optimal design refinement and allocation of dependability requirements - automation of processes in dependability standards
- Automated dependability (safety, reliability, availability) analysis
- Multi-objective optimisation of system architecture and maintenance
- Automatic test data generation
- New generation user interfaces for system design tools
- Meta-heuristics, intelligent agents and application of AI in system design
- Intelligent robots
- Intelligent diagnostic tools
- Cognitive architectures
- Fuzzy logic and robotics
- Applications of simulation and visualization
- Underpinning technologies
Current PhD Projects
We offer a range of exciting projects in all science and engineering subject areas. Many projects are interdisciplinary and/or in collaboration with industry.
Some of these projects are fully-funded – click here to view the list of our current research projects.
Open for admission in 2017/18
MPhil: 2 years (full-time)
PhD: 4 years (full-time)
/ 7 years (part-time)
MSc: 1 year (full-time)
Home/EU: £4,195 (full-time) / £2,098 (part-time)
These fees are for all Computer Science research degrees research programmes on this page. For courses lasting more than one year, small annual increases may apply. For more information, please visit www.hull.ac.uk/money.
The Postgraduate Training Scheme
It is now widely recognised by employers, professional bodies and research funding agencies that specialist expertise alone is not sufficient preparation either for research or a subsequent career. With this in mind, the University of Hull requires all its postgraduate research students to follow a research training programme relating both to their particular field of study and to generic skills; for example, information technology and communication skills.